NBU – Solar Panel Installation
NOTICE: New Braunfels residents! You may be covered by PEC or CPS, the below article covers NBU utilities.
New Braunfels Utilities (NBU) provides electric delivery to most of New Braunfels, TX. HESOLAR is proud to offer service in New Braunfels, The Hoffman Family has been a part of the New Braunfels Community since the early 1800s. The easy application process and close proximity of NBU allows HESOLAR to offer low prices comparable to pricing in Utilities with a solar rebate. NBU also requires a small monthly fee for renewable generation which is currently $0.75 per kW of solar for systems under 10 kW and $1.37 per kW for systems over 10 kW. This fee can currently be offset by a new $0.50/watt solar rebate that is capped at $3,000. Current terms end on July 31, 2017.
New Braunfels Utilities Solar Information
Net-Metering: Net Metering means that all solar electricity is first directed to the Consumer’s personal loads before feeding back in to the grid. Keep in mind that if you produce more solar energy than you consumer during a billing cycle, NBU will not purchase the excess solar energy. HESOLAR will assist in custom designing a system that does not over produce.
Example: If a Customer feeds 400 kWh of solar power in to the grid and pulls 500 kWh total from the grid, their bill will be 80% less than if they did not have solar production.
Federal Tax Credit: Residential and Commercial Customers are eligible for the Federal Tax Credit. The Federal Tax Credit is 30% of the total system cost for solar installation. More information on the Solar Tax Credit is available on our solar incentives page.
Example: If a Customer purchased a 8KW Solar PV System for $23,000. The NBU solar rebate would be $3,000 ($0.50 x 8000 watts = 4000 > Capped at $3000). The federal 30% Tax Credit would be $6,000. Bringing the total investment down to $14,000!
New Braunfels Utilities Solar Eligibility
- The Customer must have electric delivery service provided by NBU.
- Customer must use an Electrical Contractor with an active Texas Electrical Contractors License.
- All work in the State of Texas must be performed by licensed Electricians.
- Work must be completed by a City of New Braunfels registered Contractor.
- Contractor must use Qualifying Products
- Solar Panels must be UL Listed – UL 1703. Beware of unlisted products on the market.
- Solar Inverter must be UL Listed – UL 1741. UL 1741 protects the Bluebonnet Lineman when repairing powerlines.
- Systems over 10 KW/Residential and 100 KW/Commercial have to receive a special permission for interconnection.
HESOLAR assists the Customer with the NBU Interconnection Agreement.